Sunday, September 07, 2008

Fresh is the best...

...at least when it comes to yummy fruits and veggies! JujyFruits, on the other hand, are much better stale (am I right, Daddy?) Anyway, I was pretty excited to peruse the bounty at our local farmer's market the other day and pick out some ultra-fresh, locally grown produce. Unfortunately, I didn't get there right when it started, so I missed out on some stuff I was looking for, but I supplemented with a trip to Earth Fare, which I just found out is relatively close to the house! Double yay! These beauties will be going into a few different healthy recipes I'll be trying this week. I'm particularly interested to see how the tiny eggplants work. (Yep, those cute striped ones are an eggplant variety!) In Chicago I always had fresh produce, thanks to Hyde Park Produce, which is in the top 3 things that I miss the most about Chicago. It was ridiculously easy and inexpensive to walk a few blocks to HPP and pick up the week's produce. The farmer's market here is in Market Square, which is one of our favorite parts of Knoxville (it's in an area being revitalized), but it's on the other side of Knoxville from us. I think it's worth it, though, to get fresher, healthier, and more inexpensive food...and we get to support local growers! Can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

Mike and Beth said...

Oh my goodness! We are eager to sit in your kitchen, watch you cook as we appreciate your finesse, and then to sample the delicious food! Yummmmm.......

And yes, Jujyfruits are better stale!
Your photography is great - you could frame this!
Happy cooking!